Scuola Grande di San Marco Area

Da Venicewiki, il wiki di Venezia

The facade of the Scuola Grande di San Marco is one of the Renaissance works that fascinate us for the harmonious use of space, attention to the prospects, the use of colored marbles in order to add dramatic effects, related but distinct.

In this area there are the Basilica dei Santi Giovanni e Paolo, the mausoleum of Venice where are the graves of some of the most famous Doges of Venice, next to the Scuola Grande di San Marco, one of the most important institutions of charity and Venetian assistance, the equestrian statue of Colleoni, a mercenary who fought valiantly alongside the Republic knights.

On the large Campo Santi Giovanni e Paolo (or Zanipolo in venetian dialetto), the Scuola Grande di San Marco is a construction made by the architects Bartolomeo Bon and Antonio Rizzon in 1437.
After a fire which destroyed it partially in 1485, it was rebuilt by the Lombardo, father and son. The overall structure is of Pietro Lombardo, as well as the front door.
The statues are placed at ornament by Bartolomeo Bon, while the sculptures in perspective; the two lions at the main entrance side and the two episodes of the Life of San Marco, are by Tullio Lombardo.

The Scuola Grande di San Marco has been the entrance of the Venice hospital since 1815.
Recent renovations have renewed the halls and open to the public the Scuola Grande di San Marco, open from 9 am until 5 pm.